This is a little bit of a cop out post that I am writing because for two more days I have to write SOMETHING every day oh god please let it end.
Anyway, I have been feeling quite down in the dumpish lately regarding progress on house things, and it helped me immensely to go back to the House To Do list I wrote out in June or July or whenever we started this god forsaken house fix up process. We have done so many more things than I realized! Progress has certainly been made. And here’s the new list of stuff I’d like to get done and hopefully when I look back on it in four months, I will be thrilled with all the progress made once again.
Also, not to get all Pollyanna on you, but here’s something I realized today. In addition to feeling happy after I realized that we actually have gotten so much stuff done, I also realized that I could either mope around all pathetic woe is me because my budget for house stuff is a drop in the bucket compared to all the work that needs doing and all the furniture that needs buying, or I can just look around and do what I can do, now. For example, we have big big plans for a gorgeous back yard and an expansive deck that becomes a second outdoor living room, but until we save the 10K that might cost, I can sweep the crappy back porch we do have. I may not have the tropical outdoor oasis I dream of, and I might not be able to afford much more than a few fall bulbs right at the moment, but today I spent three hours sweeping and raking and doing what I could do, today, and my backyard looks so amazingly better, it’s not even funny.
So that’s my motto now, at least for the moment. Not to obsess about all the stuff we need and can’t afford, and all the things I want to do and can’t find the budget for. But to figure out what I can do now that might make a difference, and to do it.
Also, here’s a list of the EIGHTY things we have left to do before we can buy another house and start all over again :). And I totally don’t expect anyone to read this, really, this is just for my own reference.
1. Paint the white trim around the front of the house.
2. Plant fall bulbs (lilies and tulips and daffodils and peonies) and fall trees.
3. Plant dinner plate dahlias (spring) and roses along the side of the house.
4. Have asian pear tree removed, plant something else.
5. Add gravel and edging to side yard and back yard. Plant succulents in side yard, add palms, flax, and two trees. Add bench and Bauer garden orb.
6. Tear down and rebuild carport.
7. Add bike hooks to back yard.
8. Metal trash cans for pet food in backyard.
9. Tear down back steps, add deck and patio furniture and landscaping to backyard.
10. Add cafe lights to back patio.
11. Hot Tub ? 🙂
12. Hang Detroit picture over fireplace.
13. Remove hideous fireplace marble and mantle, replace with tile and white surround.
14. Add white “built in” bookshelves to the living room.
15. White flat screen tv and speakers.
16. Fix living room window.
17. Window boxes to the front of the house
18. Nice (not plastic) hanging baskets.
19. New front door, new front screen door, new back screen door, paint them red.
20. New couch cushions in pink.
21. New chairs for living room.
22. New ottoman for living room, upholster.
23. New plant table, living room.
24. Paint living room
25. Build magazine shelves
26. Hall table. New hall closet door.
27. Refinish floors.
28. Add peace tile and Container Store linen box to the front hallway.
29. Reframe “Hello Fabulous” in the front hallway.
30. Glass bell jar and fern for front table
31. Bowl of skeleton keys and minnow trap, front hallway.
32. Umbrella stand – front hallway.
33. Paint bedroom, add stencil, frame white Finnish bird prints, hang over stencil, buy and hang mirror, buy storage bench for sweaters, buy small area rug, hang birch branch over dresser, find large vase and wooden tray for the dresser.
34. Hang locker baskets.
35. Artwork over desk
36. Paint dining room. Replace chandelier. Print and frame and hang black and whites. Reframe poster and find prints for walls. Buy two more dining room chairs and Flor Coir Tiles.
37. Two rugs for living room.
38. Repaint bathroom, replace bathroom ceiling fixture, add teak bathmat, buy galvanized IKEA storage bins, pedestal sink.
39. Buy rock doormat.
40. Buy white tablecloth and pudding mold for Thanksgiving dinner flower arrangement.
41. Replace flatware.
42. Replace hallway fixture.
43. Cover thermostat.
44. Plant flowering vines up against outside walls.
45. California pottery collection/terrarium
46. new doorknobs
47. new switchplates
48. Kitchen: new counters, slate floors, wood counters, white cabinets, built in trash can, wall mounted microwave, and tile backsplash.
49. Eli’s room: bunk beds, new bedding, and long dresser to use as changing table.
50. more cereal bowls.
51. find a vintage alarm clock that doesn’t tick insanely loudly.
52. buy a bingo cage
53. buy a perpetual calendar for my desk.
54. Beeswax votive candles
56. Buy a shredder, a new toaster, and some more plastic placemats.
57. Hang wooden elephant head.
58. buy coasters
59. Add a chair rail to the dining room?
60. Frame prints.
61. Big Red Letter E
62. Desk lamp
63. Pottery barn stool in the corner of the dining room
64. Printed tape and new curtain hardware
65. Order “Your Story” print
66. Make a bird mobile for dining room
67. Christmas decorations – garland and votives
68. Anthropologie bird wall art
69. Grand Canyon wall canvas for living room
70. Buy a carpet steamer and clean Eli’s carpet
71. Add a stainless metal bulletin board to the kitchen
72. New lampshade for lamp in living room
73. Order a quilt for our bed
74. Steal some osage oranges
75. add crown molding?
76. Gas stove
77. Buy some old fashioned style fans
78. tree stump table
79. Fix the back gate
80. Fix the leak in the kitchen pipe.
Eighty? Seriously, eighty? I’m exhausted just reading this list.
Peace out – E.
Filed under: Uncategorized | 9 Comments »