Thank you for all of your kind words on my last blog post. I appreciate each and every one of you more than I can say, and I am profoundly grateful.
So, in other news, I’m almost done with the kids room. I painted all the baseboards and the trim, but I need to wire in the ceiling fixture I bought for their room and figure out how to hang it. I covered up the mural that I hated over Eli’s bed, but I still need to figure out what to put on that wall. I need to order a few more pieces I’ve had my eye on but lately we’ve been spending our money on
hookers and blow family vacations, so a giant red letter E is not in the budget at this precise time.
Just an FYI, I almost had a nervous breakdown over covering up that stupid mural, because I didn’t have any more of the paint that I had used in the room and I had custom mixed it myself, but I didn’t want to paint the whole room all over again. However, I just scraped off a chunk of the paint (they asked for a least a half dollar sized piece at the paint store), took it to Kelly Moore, and they color matched it to a T. I painted over just the sections of the mural and it is indistinguishable from the rest of the wall. Besides all the trip to the paint store, it took me about two minutes to do. But I won’t be painting any more wall murals for awhile, rest assured.
Anyway. I’ve been painting this dresser white for what seems like forever and I just finished polying the last drawer pull.
It’s whatever white I had leftover from the kitchen cabinets, and then I put a few coats of poly over the top because it’s in a kids room and I wanted it to hold up against the ravages of my beastly children. Originally I was really excited about painting the dresser knobs and pulls yellow, and it still looks really great in my head, but in person it was not so cute. They started out silver and for the life of me I couldn’t figure out what other color would work so I just painted them oil rubbed bronze. And I replaced the smaller knobs, the ones that came with the dresser were tiny and small and I was hoping something flowery would make the dresser a little more girly and a little less MCM.
I picked these because they were $1.27 at Home Depot. When you are buying 5 knobs, the cost adds up fast. I liked the sound of $1.27 times 5 a lot more than the sound of $6 times 5, so that’s what I went with.
For some reason the knobs and pulls always take me a million years to do. Maybe because it takes so many coats and I have a short attention span? I also put a few coats of polyurethane over the top of these because when they were painted white they chipped at the drop of a hat.
I bought this dresser for $20 from some random used furniture store and it’s pretty great, especially for 20 bucks. It’s the perfect height to change a baby on and all those little drawers work really well for all the small stuff kids have wads of like socks and hats and tights and diaper covers and all that other business. I’ve always wanted to paint it white and Erik has always refused to let me but it was outside when the floors were refinished and got damaged in a freak rain storm, so I got to paint it white.
This is why I have to blog about these things – after I worked my ass off on this stupid dresser, my husband came home and said, first thing: “It looks like it has a face!”
I could never figure out what to put over the dresser in the space between the top of the dresser and the bottom of the shelves. Then I moved the embroidered ABC’s to the middle and all of a sudden it looked fabulous and my problem was solved. My MIL and her MIL made the embroidery and my MIL had it framed when Eli was on the way. It’s one of my very favorite things ever.
Filed under: Uncategorized |